1. Age? 63
2. How long have you been training in Hard Target? Just 3 years
3. Current Grade? Not graded (but definitely thinking about it)
4. Favourite Technique and why? Right elbow strike……. Why?…..it is a great short range weapon and I can get power into it.
5. What do you enjoy most about Self Defence training? In truth the thing I enjoy most is the people I train with. They are a rare breed, warrior mentality and if they are with you then you know instinctively they will go all the way. Besides that when you get up close and personal in combat then trust is vital…..and working with people you can trust is truly valuable
6. Favourite movie? The Shawshank redemption (“get busy living or get busy dying” Andy Dufrene). I also like The Sound of Music because I seen it when I was 11 & fell in love with Julie Andrews!!!
7. Favourite food? Blueberries…..Honestly
8. Describe yourself in 3 words? Never say die
9. Most memorable moment in HT? This is a very personal memory. On Friday 6th June 2014 I awoke at 5.50am knowing that I was going into hospital that day for surgery to remove a brain tumour. I lay in silent refection and a few minutes after I had awoken I received a text message from Aidan Carroll. Aidan told me he was thinking of me and sent me his angel. I knew I had an angel on my shoulder that day. Aidan’s timing was perfection and his act of kindness buoyed me through that day and the days that followed. Joining Hard Target was one of the best moves of my life, it revived my warrior spirit and the HT mindset carried me through the greatest challenge I have faced. That is what HT means to me.
10. Favourite quote? ” Through every generation of the human race there has been a constant war, a war with fear. Those who have the courage to conquer it are made free and those who are conquered by it are made to suffer until they have the courage to defeat it, or death takes them” Alexander the great
11. If stranded on a desert island who would you choose as a companion and why? I would choose my partner. She has the ability to focus me and organise me much better that I can do so. That way we would escape……or decide to stay.
12. If you could go back in time who would you like to meet and why? I would like to meet my parents so that I could thank them one more time for the life they gave me and to tell them I love them again.
13. What type of animal would you be and why? A great sea bird, probably an Albatross, so that I might glide above the great oceans and see the world.
14. How would explain your basic life philosophy? Thankfully my creator gave me a very good sense of humour so that I can laugh at life and a sense of determination so that I can get back up when life knocks me down. For me life is about people and the relationships I have…..the value of material things fades away but good relationships are true gold. When I get to the end I do not want to regret the things I did not do and I want to look back at the great adventure and the people who taught me along the way. I pray each day that I can make someone’s life a bit better.